Saturday, February 5, 2011

* Nuts for Nuts? Nuts for Coconuts!!

How many of you have took a trip up to the city? When I say city I am talking about that big apple, the mighty Manhattan, good ol' New York City! I am not sure if this is a good thing, or a sad thing.. But one of my favorite things about trips to the city, is walking along the streets in search of a Nuts for Nuts street car that sells candied coconut! I love candied coconut. The texture, the sweetness, everything about it is delicious!!

I had difficulty finding a recipe for the coconut, but thanks to some ladies.. I was shown the light.. A recipe for a "copycat" Nuts for Nuts. Yep!! It was time for me to buy a coconut!! Have you ever bought a coconut? Or opened one for that matter? I haven't. This was a whole new world for me! Draining the coconut water, cracking open the shell, and then prying chunks of coconut from there hard shell... Well, Lets just say that while I was in the process of removing the coconut meat from the shell I told the fellow that if I ever again get the idea of "hey, lets get a coconut", for him to remind me... remind me of that moment. Right then. Why? because that was the biggest pain in my butt!! I didn't think that getting the meat out of the coconut was worth it. It was too much work. Maybe I was doing it the wrong way.. who knows.

Either way, I eventually got the coconut meat out of the shell (technically, I got a little bit out and then gave up). And that coconut meat became the yummy treat that I am sharing with you today!!



Candied Coconut
(from Top Secret Recipes Version of Nuts 4 Nuts)
Printer Friendly Version

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp. water
1/4 C. sugar
1 C. Fresh coconut Meat

Directions:

Bring water and sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
Add the coconut and stir often until water evaporates.
Continue stirring until the sugar begins to harden on the nuts.
Grease foil with a little bit of oil, and dump coconut onto foil, with a fork separate the coconut, place under the broiler until it starts to lightly brown, be sure to take it out and give it a stir.
Enjoy!!


Well, you know how I said that I didn't think it was worth it, picking the meat out.. well, after tasting one of these coconut bites, well.. Now, I can't exactly say that anymore.. it was SO worth it!! These turned out perfectly!!  I swear, if I would have closed my eyes I would have heard taxi horns honking, and felt the breeze of busy people rushing past me!!  They were that good, no, I take that back.. they were better!  They were FRESH!!! 



Also, check out this post on Marx Foods Blog and vote for A Happy Girl and Loving Life's Berry Lightning!!
Happy Eating!!
~

5 comments:

  1. Hmm. This is such a great treat! Miss NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of candied coconut! What a fantastic idea for a treat alone...or a garnish for another treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't click on this post QUICK enough...Coconut is one of my all time favorite foods! This looks TO DIE FOR! Thanks for sharing:) (and I love NYC almost as much as coconut:) hahahahahahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time I made coconut rum I hated getting the meat out. After making this from the rum soaked coconut I could not wait to do it again. It is sooooooo good. I highly recommend making this, it is one of my favorite candies.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like....

Related Posts with Thumbnails