Friday, March 5, 2010

*B is for Bagel

I am a sucker for good Bagels... there are a few places around me that I say has delicious bagels. One of which is closed, the other is about a 25 minute drive for me (but TOTALLY worth it!!) I am hoping to produce my own delicious bagels... we'll see. Christine, thank you for the recipe!!

Bagels (makes 8)
Ingredients:
4 cups bread flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsps instant yeast
1 1/4- 1 1/2 cup warm water


directions:

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. (start with just 1 1/4 cup of the water-add more if dough seems too dry).



Knead the dough - for about 10 minutes by hand, or half that if you are using a stand mixer-kneed till dough is smooth and uniform.

Cut the dough into 8 equal parts. Let rest for 10-20 minutes.

Take one dough segment and roll out into a "rope". make it long enough to wrap around your hand. Pinch/squish the ends together. ( I didn't do this step, well.. i tried one this way and didn't care for the appearance of the bagels. I rolled the dough into a ball, and then pushed my finger through the middle to make the "O" shape-much easier).



Let the bagels sit for 20 minutes. During that time, preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Start boiling a big pot of water. Lightly grease a baking tray. (I lightly greased mine and wish i would have greased it a little more than just "lightly" - my bagels stuck to the pan when I took them out).

Once the 20 minutes is up - put a few bagels into the pot of boiling water. boil for 1 minute on each side. Let the bagels dry for a minute or two. (I added a step here, since this was a trial and error batch I brushed an egg wash onto 4 of the bagels before adding the toppings - those 4 with the egg wash had a more golden color than the ones that did not get the wash). Add your toppings now.

Bake for 10 minutes and then flip them over and bake for another 10 minutes.



Enjoy!!

End notes.... the egg wash didn't really do much, my bagels were still on the pale side. The bagels were very heavy and didn't really "puff" up or anything while they were sitting. I think next time I will have to try dry active yeast instead of the instant. Overall, everyone at work liked them, and my mom is itching for me to make cinnamon and raisin bagels for her!!
Happy Eating!!
~ pup

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like....

Related Posts with Thumbnails